THE Land Transport Authority has completed the second phase of the ‘Operation Red Zone’ with a total of 679 traffic infringement notices being issued in one month in the Western Division.
Spokesman Alfred Wiliame said the operation had seen a reduction in illegal transport operations in the west.
“We are happy with the response from the second phase of the operation because we have noticed a reduction in traffic offences compared to previous months,” he said.
“As of August 28, we issued 465 traffic infringement notices, 201 defect orders and 13 vehicles were impounded. We have seen a slight decrease in traffic offences and despite the successful completion of the second phase — we will still monitor illegal activities in the west,” he said.
Mr Wiliame said enforcement officers deployed for the operation would be enrolled for a refresher course at the Nadave Training Centre in Tailevu.
“The main objective of the course is to review the progress made by the authority three years ago and what can be best done to improve our services,” he said.
“The course is to address and review the legislation and to educate enforcement officers on some of the new legislations and the new court processes. Apart from the west enforcement officers, we have also included some officers from the Northern and Central divisions to be part of the training,” he said. Mr Wiliame said the road death toll now stood at 31 compared to the 31 for the same period last year.