A LIT candle left unattended caused a fire which completely destroyed a house at Vere Rd, Laucala Beach in Suva on Wednesday night.
The incident has prompted the National Fire Authority to issue fresh advice to the general public to take extra care before leaving their homes.
Preliminary investigations by the NFA revealed the fire was caused by a lit candle left unattended in the house.
The NFA has recorded 52 structural fires so far this year, saying it was of great concern.
NFA chief executive officer John O'Connor urged people to always check that all fire ignition sources in the house like candles, stoves, lamps, mosquito coils and prayer diya were put out completely before leaving their home or going to bed.
"We hope that members of the community take heed of our advice and exercise good housekeeping at home to avoid unnecessary fire incidents from happening," he said.