DESPITE numerous warnings and awareness programs, the National Fire Authority continues to receive reports of fires nationwide.
Three houses in the Northern Division were destroyed while another corrugated-iron home at Makoi in Nasinu were engulfed by flames over the weekend.
The incident has prompted the authority to call on the public to be extra careful in their own homes.
NFA chief executive officer John O'Connor in a statement said they received reports of four home fires last week.
"We advise parents and guardians not to leave their children unsupervised at home and they should always ensure matches and lighters are kept out of children's reach," Mr O'Connor said.
"If parents are at work or at some other place, they should always ensure a close family member or an adult is at home to supervise their children. NFA is continuing with its house-to-house, business-to-business and school awareness campaign and reiterating the need for a total change of mind-set in relation to fire safety."
Mr O'Connor said people must not think fires won't occur in their homes.
"We are still investigating the causes of fires for the houses and we hope to finalise everything soon," he added.
Police spokeswoman Ana Naisoro yesterday said investigations into the three home fires in the north were still in progress.
"Police have not ruled out arsons for the three cases in the north," she said in a statement.
"Also, no cases of casualities or injuries have been recorded but the houses were totally destroyed and at the moment, investigations continue.
"In the north, a house at Navirea squatter settlement in Savusavu was destroyed on Thursday night while another house in Wasavulu outside Labasa was burnt down on Saturday morning and another one in Dreketi."
It was earlier reported the NFA has attended to 40 structural fires this year, compared to 39 for the same period last year.