Another village in Navosa is under siege from typhoid, a communicable disease that caused the hospitalisation of 29 villagers from the province last year.
Navosa district officer Atunaisa Keve confirmed that nine villagers from Draubuta were admitted this week after testing positive for typhoid while another eight suspected cases were treated in the village.
The Health Ministry's deputy secretary for public health, Doctor Josefa Koroivueta, confirmed the outbreak.
"There is confirmed typhoid outbreak in this village that requires the mobilisation of outbreak response team to the area," he said.
"This is part of the integrated rural development and the whole of government approach to the problem to steer the community towards wellness.
"It is more than this visit. It will examine the community profile to understand the root issues of the community and then dealing with them comprehensively to solve the community issues.
"The solution for Draubuta lies in there," said Dr Koroivueta.
Sigatoka subdivisional medical officer Dr Dasi Gurumarna Devi said an awareness campaign would be conducted in the village next week.
She said the health department would be working closely with the Nadroga/Navosa Provincial Council, Navosa district office, police and other stakeholders to contain the disease.
"We will be conducting awareness in the village from next week just to educate the villagers on the precautionary measures," said Dr Devi.
Assistant roko tui Navosa Marika Nagata said a government team consisting of police and staff from the district office visited the village on Tuesday after reports of the outbreak was received.
He confirmed that nine villagers were tested positive and eight suspected cases were recorded at the village.
"The nine confirmed cases are admitted at the hospital while villagers have been warned to take extra precautionary measures," said Mr Nagata.
"Villagers have been advised to refrain from mass gathering and to remain in the village until the typhoid is contained.
"The outbreak is a concern not only to the villagers but also to the government," he said.
"Villagers have been told to boil drinking water and to also wash their hands after using the toilet.
"We will be spending three days in the village in a joint inspection with police, health and the provincial council to address the matter to the villagers," said Mr Nagata.
Last year it took medical authorities more than three months to contain the outbreak at Nanoko.