A family of five is homeless after their four-bedroom house was destroyed in an early morning fire in Omkar Feeder Rd in Narere yesterday.
Homeowner Dhiren Singh could not come to terms with his loss saying his years of hard work had been destroyed in the fire.
"We have lost everything and there is nothing left with us.
"The only thing that we have is the clothes that we are wearing," an emotional Mr Singh said.
The house caught fire around 11am and Mr Singh's two children were the only ones inside the house at that time.
"I was at work when I received a call on my mobile from my neighbour informing me that my house was on fire. My wife was also at work and when we reached there, I could only see flames engulfing my house," he said.
Mr Singh said his neighbours managed to save his handicapped son. His elder son managed to escape through the back door.
He said the firefighters were on time but could not save the house because of the intensity of the blaze.
Mr Singh is asking government and members of the public for assistance so he can rebuild his home.
Meanwhile, speaking to The Fiji Times at the scene, National Fire Authority (NFA) chief executive officer John O'Connor said according to preliminary investigations, there was a power point in the house that was sparking which could have caused the fire.
Mr O'Connor said their team was still investigating the matter.
He has advised parents not to leave their children at home unsupervised.
This incident brings to 36 the total number of structural fires this year.