TWO major sporting bodies have been forced to postpone their competition for this weekend because of bad weather conditions being faced in the Western Division.
The Fiji National Rugby League (FNRL) has postponed all their Vodafone Cup matches that were to take place tomorrow while the Fiji Football Association (Fiji FA) has postponed two Fiji Sun/GP Batteries National Football League competition games.
Both national bodies said they took into consideration the safety of players before making their decision. FNRL development officer Sale Tubuna said the bad weather spoilt grounds on which competition was supposed to be played.
"All zones had requested us to postpone this weekend‘s games because of the bad weather," Tubuna said.
"If players play on waterlogged and muddy grounds, it can result in injuries so we did not take the risk," he said. "We have shifted games to next weekend and if the same problem persists we will have to postpone the games again."
Nabua Broncos and Police Sharks are the top teams in the Suva zone, Nadera Panthers and Makoi Bulldogs are front-runners in the Nasinu zone.
Namatakula Tigers and Sabeto Roosters are leading the Coral Coast and Nadi zones respectively.
The Ra East and West zones are lead by Burenitu Cowboys and Malake Sharks respectively.
The three teams who are leading the Lautoka zone are Lautoka Warriors, Lautoka Crushers and West Tigers. Meanwhile, Fiji FA competitions manager Jainendra Sukhu confirmed the Nadroga versus Nadi match and all of Ba's games this weekend have been postponed.
"Nadroga was supposed to host Nadi at Lawaqa Park tomorrow (today) at 7pm while Ba was to travel to the North to face Savusavu on Saturday and Labasa on Sunday," Sukhu said. "But because of the bad weather we have decided to postpone these games because Nadi is flooded once again," he said.
"And for Ba, they had to travel to Natovi jetty via Kings Road but they can‘t because of the bad condition of the road because of bad weather and rough seas so they cannot travel by boat." He said the other games would go ahead as scheduled while the Nadi versus Nadroga match will played on mid-week next week. "But we will make a decision on the other games by tomorrow (today) afternoon if the current weather pattern persists."