7 April, 2018, 12:00 am
ALL schools in the Labasa area remained closed yesterday until further notice.
A statement from the Ministry of Education said these schools had been closed because of heavy rain and extensive flooding in areas throughout the division.
“The Ministry of Education and disaster officials will continue to monitor the situation and provide regular updates as to when schools can safely be reopened for students and teachers,” the statement read.
“All parents in the Northern Division are advised to cautiously assess the weather and use their discretion before sending their children to schools tomorrow.”
Speaking at a press conference on Thursday, Commissioner North Jovesa Vocea confirmed that all schools in the Labasa areas would be closed.
Mr Vocea said some schools in the division were being used as evacuation centres.
“We will monitor the weather situation over the weekend before we can decide whether schools will remain closed or otherwise,” he said.
“My office is co-ordinating with the Education Ministry.
“Parents are to monitor their children’s whereabouts and ensure that they are safe and out of harm’s way,” Mr Vocea said.
“Police will be stationed in Labasa Town to see that children do not loiter around town areas and movement of people in and out of the area will be monitored too.
“We strongly advise parents to keep their children at home so that we do not repeat incidents like the ones that happened during the Western flooding.”
“Children are to stay at home and they should not come to town for no reason.”