Rape suspect, 13, released, victim in safe house

POLICE have interviewed and released the 13-year-old boy who was taken into Labasa Police Station this week for allegedly raping his sister.

Police chief intelligence and investigations ACP Vakacegu Toduadua said police had completed interviewing the suspect.

ACP Toduadua said the case had been referred to the Director Public Prosecution’s office.

“We have sought advice from the DPP’s office for further direction, whether charges are to be laid on the suspect or otherwise,” he said.

“The victim is in the custody of the Ministry of Social Welfare and is being kept in a safe home while the suspect has been returned to his parents.”

On Tuesday this week, the 13-year-old was taken for questioning at Labasa Police Station regarding the alleged incident.

Police spokesperson Inspector Jokatama Qio confirmed the victim was a juvenile.

Insp Qio also said the suspect was the biological brother of the victim.