Ministry aware of baby’s death
11 June, 2018, 10:30 am
THE Ministry of Health and Medical Services has confirmed it is aware of the death of a four-day-old baby at the Colonial War Memorial Hospital in Suva last Friday.
In response to the claims of a grieving mother from Nepani, Nasinu, a statement from the ministry stated an investigation in line with its complaint processes would be undertaken should the family lodge a complaint directly with the ministry.
The statement also stated the ministry had been in touch with the family but could not reveal any further details because of confidentiality issues.
Prenita Singh raised her concerns with this newspaper because she said she was not satisfied with the answers she got after her baby passed away.
She claimed she had a C-section delivery last Tuesday but was sent home later while her baby remained in hospital.
She added that four days later her son got sick and was taken to the operation theatre.
Mrs Singh further claimed that despite earlier assurances that her baby was fine, medical professionals later told her the infant had died and the cause of death had not been established.