Ebola toll hits 2400
14 September, 2014, 12:00 am
GENEVA – The worst Ebola outbreak has killed more than 2400 people, the UN says, as Cuba pledges the largest foreign medical team deployed so far in the west African health crisis.
World Health Organization chief Margaret Chan warned the spiralling epidemic of the murderous tropical virus demanded a stronger, faster response from the international community.
In the three hardest-hit countries, Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, “the number is moving faster than the capacity to manage them,” she told reporters in Geneva.
As of Friday, 4784 people had been infected with Ebola and more than 2400 of them had died, Ms Chan said.
She did not specify if the figures also included Nigeria, which has reported 21 cases, eight fatal, since the deadliest Ebola outbreak on record began in Guinea at the start of the year.
Senegal has also seen one confirmed case of Ebola — a Guinean student who has recovered.
While noting no other cases have yet emerged, WHO cautioned on Friday that the country remains a “high risk” of further transmission.