Diabetes scare in Fiji

FIJI is ranked 11th on the World Diabetes ranking.

This was revealed by economist Ian Anderson during the 2015 Pacific Update Conference that was held at the University of the South Pacific in Suva on Thursday.

Mr Anderson said Pacific Islands recorded the highest number of diabetes and non communicable diseases (NCDs) in the world.

He said about 38 million people died because of diabetes and NCDs every year.

Of the 38m deaths recorded, he said 80 per cent of the people were from developing countries whereas as the other 20 per cent were from Western Pacific region.

“Government spent $38,686 per patient every year and only 1.31 per cent of the population can be treated with insulin before the country’s total drug budget allocation is used,” Mr Anderson said.

He said the multi-sectoral approach was required to address the issue and Pacific Islanders should refrain from eating unhealthy foods and fizzy drinks.

Diabetes Fiji president Dr Wahid Khan, said a lot needed to be done in order to reverse the country’s high rate of diabetes estimated to be about one in three adults.

Dr Khan said those who had been diagnosed with diabetes should register as there is no national register.

He said more needed to be done to reverse the rate.

“I think reversal will be done in the next generation,” Dr Khan said.

Latest posts

More Stories