Advanced and improved
25 September, 2014, 12:00 am
THE operations of Fiji’s first parliamentary session after a lapse of eight years is expected to begin in two weeks time.
This is when the 50 parliamentarians chosen by the votes of the country’s voting population will table issues of national interest.
The Parliament will be located at the Government Buildings in Suva.
The Parliament still boasts the colonial setting with furniture and benches given a modern look.
It has state-of-the-art facilities including a media gallery.
Here’s what we know about our new parliament:
* Government will sit at the right hand side of the Speaker;
* Opposition will sit at the left hand side of the speaker;
* Has the fastest Wi-Fi in the country;
* Paperless Parliament – contribute to saving the environment;
* Parliamentarians will have tablet computers;
* Card provisions – parliamentarians will be issued with personal cards to save data;
* Innovative and latest sound and microphone systems;
* Classic media gallery for media organisations and Hansard reporters; and
* The new parliamentary complex also has offices for government and members of the opposition.