$12m for 1700 projects

A TOTAL of $12million has been spent on 1700 projects as part of the Northern Development Plan in the North so far.

And 33 per cent of these projects are agricultural while the other 67 per cent covers dalo, yaqona, pineapple and fishing projects.

This was revealed by the NDP manager Waisale Tuidama, who said they had so far supported 400 fishing projects.

Mr Tuidama said most of these fishing projects were centred in Udu, Cikobia, Qamea, Bua and coastal communities in the North.

“There has been an influx of fish being exported from the North recently.

“Vanua Levu supplies 80 per cent of the fish in Viti Levu with local fishermen already entering into the American market.

“I am proud to say that most of these fishing enterprises are funded by the NDP,” he said.

Mr Tuidama said 84 per cent of the 1700 projects that they had funded were small medium enterprises and they had been successful so far. He said out of these, the livelihoods of 22,000 people have been improved which is about 18 per cent of the population in the North.

“NDP has created 5000 employment in the North which is about 22 per cent of the division’s population. The 5000 employment were created in the informal sector.”

Latest posts

More Stories